Serves 4 – 5
- 1 red chilli, thinly sliced, seeds removed
- 3 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 150 g mange tout, shredded
- 100 g mushrooms, sliced
- 100 g green cabbage, finely sliced
- a splash olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 10 ml soy sauce
- Baste steak lightly with olive oil.
- Season with pepper and cook in a hot griddle pan or under a preheated grill for 5 minutes on each side or until done to taste.
- Remove and leave to stand for 10 minutes.
- Cut steak into very thin slices and place in a bowl with remaining meat juices.
- Mix the garlic, chilli, red onion and spring onions together.
- Mix all the other vegetables together. Keep the two mixes separate.
- Heat a wok until very hot.
- Add a splash of oil. When it starts smoking, add the chilli and onion mix. Stir for just 2 seconds before adding the other mix.
- Flip, toss and keep stirring the vegetables in the wok with a wooden spoon.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the ostrich steak strips.
- After a minute or two, the vegetables should have begun to soften.
- Add the soy sauce and stir in. After about 30 seconds the vegetables should smell amazing!
Recipe: Chef Francois Ferreira