30 minutes cooking time | 10 minutes preparation time
- 125 g rare Klein Karoo Ostrich Fillet or Steak
- 1 cup short grain white rice
- 2 cups of water
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 – 4 sheets Nori
- Wasabi to taste
- 1 small Lebanese cucumber, peeled
- ½ small avocado
- ¼ cup pickled ginger
- Soy sauce for dipping
- Wash the rice in cold water, drain well.
- Place the rice and water in a medium pan. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 4 – 5 minutes or until all the water is absorbed. Cover, reduce to low heat and cook for another 4 – 5 minutes. Remove pan from heat and allow to cool.
- Stir combined vinegar, sugar and salt into the rice.
- Working on a flat serface, place one sheet of Nori onto a piece of greaseproof paper. Place a quarter of the rice along one end of the Nori, leaving a 2 cm border around the three sides.
- Spread a very small amount of wasabi down the centre of the rice.
- Cut the rare ostrich meat into thin strips, and the cucumber and the avocado into small pieces. Place the pieces of ostrich meat, cucumber, avocado and ginger over the wasabi.
- Using the paper as a guide, roll up firmly from the bottom, enclosing the ingredients within the rice.
- Press the edges of the Nori to seal. Use a sharp flat-bladed or electric knife to cut the roll into 2,5 cm rounds.
- Repeat the process with the remaining ingredients.
Recipe: Conrad de Wet