In today’s health-conscious world ostrich meat has become part of a balanced diet and allows…
Ostrich Fillet Topped with Beans and Served with Two Sauces
Show of your culinary skills! A perfect fillet – not only tasty, but it plates beautifully because of the two colourful sauces.
- 500g Klein Karoo Ostrich Fillet (4/5 x 125/100 g portions)
- 4 Young Green Beans per person, steamed
FOR THE MARINADE YOU NEED:
- 500ml Soya sauce
- 15ml Green peppercorns
- 15ml Fresh ginger, chopped
- 20ml Apple cider vinegar
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Mix together all the ingredients and marinate the fillets for 2 hours.
- Remove meat from marinade and grill in hot pan to medium rare (3 min per side); be careful to not overcook.
- Reduce marinade in a separate pot to make a sauce.
- Blend to remove all the solids.
- 150ml White wine vinegar
- 2 Spring onions, chopped
- 10ml Fresh tarragon, chopped
- 2 Egg yolks
- 125ml Butter, cubed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 5ml Lemon juice
- Put the white wine vinegar, spring onion, and tarragon in a saucepan and let it simmer to reduce by a third.
- Allow to cool completely and then strain the vinegar into a heatproof bowl.
- Add to egg yolks and whisk over double boiler with barely simmering water until foamy.
- Whisk until the mixture is thick and pale.
- Add the butter, a cube at a time, whisking until the mixture is thick and smooth.
- Remove from heat.
- Add lemon juice and adjust seasoning to taste.
- Pour pepper sauce on each plate, place fillets on top, place beans on the fillets and drizzle with béarnaise sauce.
- Serve with boiled baby potatoes.
Recipe: Chef Francois Ferreira