In today’s health-conscious world ostrich meat has become part of a balanced diet and allows…
Ostrich Kebabs Served with Peanut Sauce and Mealie Pap
Our Thai inspired Ostrich skewers are marinated in coconut milk, curry, and spices and then grilled to perfection. It’s a quick and easy meal that’s packed full of flavor!
- 500g Klein Karoo Ostrich Goulash
- 300g Small brown mushrooms
- Pieces of green and red peppers
- 150ml Coconut milk (low fat)
- 50ml Beef stock
- 30ml Chopped fresh coriander
- 30ml Brown sugar
- 20ml Red curry paste (Thai)
- 50ml Fish sauce (Thai)
- 20ml Oil
- 5ml Lightly crushed coriander seeds
- Place the ostrich meat cubes, wiped mushrooms and chopped peppers in a marinade dish.
- Combine the remaining ingredients and pour over the meat.
- Marinate for 2 – 3 hours
- Now thread meat, mushrooms and peppers alternately onto skewers.
- Grill over glowing coals for ± 5 minutes – the meat should be medium.
Makes 300 ml
- 10ml Oil
- 1 Small onion, finely chopped
- 1 Clove garlic, crushed
- 2ml Ground cumin
- 3ml Curry paste (Thai)
- 50ml Peanut butter
- 150ml Coconut milk
- 15ml Brown sugar
- 10ml Lemon juice
- 10ml Fish sauce
- 30ml Chopped roasted peanuts
- About 100ml chicken stock
- Heat oil. Add onion and garlic, sauté lightly.
- Add cumin and curry pastes and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Stir in peanut butter, coconut milk, and brown sugar.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add lemon juice, fish sauce, and peanuts.
- Bring back to the boil and dilute with stock to a pouring consistency.
- Serve with mealie pap and kebabs.
MEALIE PAP DELUXE
For most South Africans, a braai just isn’t the same without mealie pap. Try this tasty variation.
- 500ml Water
- 500ml Milk
- 500ml Mealie meal
- 2 Eggs, beaten
- 30ml Butter
- 1-2 Cloves garlic, crushed
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 x 410g Can corn kernels, drained
- 250ml Grated cheddar cheese
- Bring the water, milk and mealie meal to the boil, stirring constantly until thick.
- Turn down the heat and add the remaining ingredients, except the cheese, and leave to simmer for 1 hour with the lid on.
- Add the cheese and leave for a further 10 minutes.
Tersia de Wet