1 hour cooking time | 2 hours preparation time
- Serves 4
- 500 g Klein Karoo Ostrich Goulash
- 300 g small brown mushrooms
- Pieces of green and red peppers
- 150 ml coconut milk (low fat)
- 50 ml beef stock
- 30 ml chopped fresh coriander
- 30 ml brown sugar
- 20 ml red curry paste (Thai)
- 50 ml fish sauce (Thai)
- 20 ml oil
- 5 ml lightly crushed coriander seeds
Place the ostrich meat cubes, wiped mushrooms and chopped peppers in a marinade dish.
Combine the remaining ingredients and pour over the meat.
Marinate for 2 – 3 hours
Now thread meat, mushrooms and peppers alternately onto skewers.
Grill over glowing coals for ± 5 minutes – the meat should be medium.
Makes 300 ml
- 10ml oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2ml ground cumin
- 3ml curry paste (Thai)
- 50ml peanut butter
- 150ml coconut milk
- 15ml brown sugar
- 10ml lemon juice
- 10ml fish sauce
- 30ml chopped roasted peanuts
- About 100ml chicken stock
- Heat oil. Add onion and garlic, sauté lightly.
- Add cumin and curry pastes and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Stir in peanut butter, coconut milk, and brown sugar.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add lemon juice, fish sauce, and peanuts.
- Bring back to the boil and dilute with stock to a pouring consistency.
- Serve with mealie pap and kebabs.
MEALIE PAP DELUXE
For most South Africans, a braai just isn’t the same without mealie pap. Try this tasty variation.
- 500 ml Water
- 500 ml Milk
- 500 ml mealie meal
- 2 Eggs, beaten
- 30 ml Butter
- 1-2 Cloves garlic, crushed
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 x 410 g can corn kernels, drained
- 250 ml Grated cheddar cheese
- Bring the water, milk and mealie meal to the boil, stirring constantly until thick.
- Turn down the heat and add the remaining ingredients, except the cheese, and leave to simmer for 1 hour with the lid on.
- Add the cheese and leave for a further 10 minutes.
Tersia de Wet