- 500 g Klein Karoo Ostrich Goulash
- 50 g plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons Rogan Josh Spice Mix*
- 5 ml garlic and ginger paste
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 onions, grated
- 40 ml tomato paste
- 350 ml water
- Mix the yogurt, Rogan Josh spice, garlic and ginger paste together.
- Mix in the meat and rub it well to coat each piece. Marinade for 2 hours.
- Heat the butter in a large pot, and fry the onions until soft and translucent.
- Add the marinated meat and fry until it begins to seal.
- Add the tomato paste and fry for 1 minute.
- Add half the water and place the lid on the pot.
- Bring up to a gentle simmer and cook for 60 minutes; stir occasionally.
- Gradually add the remaining water, as required.
- Serve this delicious spicy dish with Basmati rice and tomato sambal.
*If Rogan Josh’s Spice Mix is not available, you can mix your own:
- 10ml cumin seeds
- 6 green cardamom seeds
- 4 cloves
- 0.5ml garlic powder
- 10ml cinnamon powder
- 0.5ml black peppercorns
- 1 whole star anise
- Dry roast all spices and blend together to create spice mix.
Recipe by: Chef Jodi-Ann Pearton