Goulash originated in medieval Hungary, where it was first prepared by herdsmen—so you know it’s…
Ostrich Goulash Rogan Josh served with Tomato Sambal
Rogan Josh is a traditional of Indian curry distinguished by its thick, flavourful red sauce and tender meat. The ostrich has marinated for 2 hours and then slow cooked. It is simply delicious.
- 500g Klein Karoo Ostrich Goulash
- 50g Plain yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons Rogan Josh Spice Mix
- 5ml Garlic and ginger paste
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 2 Onions, grated
- 40ml Tomato paste
- 350ml Water
- Mix the yogurt, Rogan Josh spice, garlic and ginger paste together.
- Mix in the meat and rub it well to coat each piece. Marinade for 2 hours.
- Heat the butter in a large pot, and fry the onions until soft and translucent.
- Add the marinated meat and fry until it begins to seal.
- Add the tomato paste and fry for 1 minute.
- Add half the water and place the lid on the pot.
- Bring up to a gentle simmer and cook for 60 minutes; stir occasionally.
- Gradually add the remaining water, as required.
- Serve this delicious spicy dish with Basmati rice and tomato sambal.
If Rogan Josh’s Spice Mix is not available, you can mix your own:
- 10ml Cumin seeds
- 6 Green cardamom seeds
- 4 Cloves
- 0.5ml Garlic powder
- 10ml Cinnamon powder
- 0.5ml Black peppercorns
- 1 Whole star anise
- Dry roast all spices and blend together to create spice mix.
Recipe: Chef Jodi-Ann Pearton