DESCRIPTION Preparation Time: 10 Minutes Cooking Time: 10-15 minutes Serves 4-6 INGREDIENTS • 125g butter…
- 500 g Klein Karoo Ostrich Steak Burgers
- 15 ml olive oil
- 4 Panini’s or 2 small baguettes, halved
- Mixed salad leaves
- 2 Tomatoes, sliced
- 16 slices young camembert
- Brush steak burgers with olive oil.
- Grill in hot griddle pan or braai on grid over moderately hot coals until nicely browned. Keep warm.
- 6 large onions, thinly sliced
- 750 ml sherry or red wine vinegar
- 750 ml sugar
- 90 ml mustard seeds
- 2-4 bay leaves
- 20 Black peppercorns, cracked
- Place onions, sherry or red wine vinegar, sugar, bay leaves and peppercorns in a heavy-based pot over low heat.
- Simmer until almost all liquid has evaporated and onions are translucent.
- Set aside to cool.
- Place in glass jars and refrigerate. Will keep for 4-6 months.
- Butter both sides of the bread.
- Place leaves and a tomato slice on the bottom part.
- Place ostrich steak burgers on the leaves, followed by the Camembert; top with onion marmalade and the other half of buttered bread. Serve.
Chef’s tip: Replace butter with low-fat cottage cheese. Camembert can be replaced with shavings of mature cheddar or Parmesan cheese.
Recipe by: Chef Francois Ferreira