30 minutes cooking time | 45 minutes preparation time
- 250 g Klein Karoo Ostrich Meat
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion
- 3 small cloves of garlic, crushed *
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander *
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon turmeric *
- 1 teaspoon masala *
- 1 teaspoon salt *
- 1 teaspoon pepper *
- ½ Juice of lemon
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon apricot jam
- ½ cup chopped coriander leaves
- 4 rounds feta cheese, crumbed
- ¼ cup pine kernels, roasted *
- 1 box phyllo pastry (14 sheets) *
- 125 g melted butter or cooking oil
- Preheat oven to 190 °C.
- Heat oil in frying pan.
- Add the onion and garlic and fry till light brown.
- Lower heat and add the three spices.
- Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the ostrich minced meat and stir.
- Add the salt, pepper lemon juice, brown sugar and apricot jam.
- Remove from stove and let cool.
- Roast ¼ cup pine kernels in a pan on low heat or in oven.
- Add pine kernels, coriander leaves and Feta cheese to the meat mixture and season to taste.
- Place pastry sheet on work surface and brush with melted butter.
- Top with another sheet and brush with butter and cut lengthwise into four strips.
- To keep pastry moist, cover with damp tea cloth.
- Place three level teaspoons meat at the end of each strip.
- Fold pastry over to form a triangle and to cover filling.
- Keep folding till end of strip.
- Brush triangle with butter, place on oven tray.
- Repeat process with remaining pastry and filling.
- Bake 15-20 minutes till golden brown.
Serve hot with
Wellington’s sweet chilli sauce.
Recipe: Alet Coetzee