In today’s health-conscious world ostrich meat has become part of a balanced diet and allows…
Ostrich Pepper Fillet
This Pepper Steak is an easy recipe with a savoury sauce that you can serve with your favourite side dish! It’s easy to customize and fast to make.
- 500g Klein Karoo Ostrich Fillet
- 15ml Olive oil
- 2 – 3 Teaspoons coarsely cracked black peppercorns
- 30ml Brandy (optional)
- A dash of Tabasco Sauce (optional)
- A dash of Worcestershire Sauce
- A little lemon juice
- 60ml Butter
- 2 Tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley or chives
- 30ml Cream (optional)
- Sprinkle both sides of each fillet with pepper and press well into the meat with the heel of your hand. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Heat a lightly oiled, large heavy-based frying pan over high heat, cook fillets on one side until brown, for about 3 minutes. Turn fillets and cook for another 3 – 4 minutes. Remove from the pan, cover and leave to rest for 5 minutes.
- Return the pan to medium heat and add the brandy (if using) scraping up the browned bits on the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon for 30 seconds.
- Add sauces and lemon juice to taste, then whisk in the butter until completely melted. Season to taste, adding a little salt, and sprinkle with parsley or chives.
- For a creamy sauce, swirl cream into the pan sauce. Spoon the sauce over the fillets and serve.
Cook’s Tip: Replace black peppercorns with soft green peppercorns pickled in brine.
Recipe: Tersia de Wet