12 minutes cooking time | 35-40 minutes preparation time
- 500 g Klein Karoo Ostrich Fillet *
- 15 ml olive oil
- 2 – 3 teaspoons coarsely cracked black peppercorns
- 30 ml brandy (optional) *
- A dash of Tabasco Sauce (optional) *
- A dash of Worcestershire Sauce *
- A little lemon juice *
- 60 ml butter *
- Salt *
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley or chives *
- 30 ml cream (optional)
- Sprinkle both sides of each fillet with pepper and press well into the meat with the heel of your hand. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Heat a lightly oiled, large heavy-based frying pan over high heat, cook fillets on one side until brown, for about 3 minutes. Turn fillets and cook for another 3 – 4 minutes. Remove from the pan, cover and leave to rest for 5 minutes.
- Return the pan to medium heat and add the brandy (if using) scraping up the browned bits on the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon for 30 seconds.
- Add sauces and lemon juice to taste, then whisk in the butter until completely melted. Season to taste, adding a little salt, and sprinkle with parsley or chives.
- For a creamy sauce, swirl cream into the pan sauce. Spoon the sauce over the fillets and serve.
Recipe: Tersia de Wet