In today’s health-conscious world ostrich meat has become part of a balanced diet and allows…
Asian Style Ostrich Steak Strips and Vegetable Stir-fry
It’s packed full of flavour, and it’s bursting with the bright colours and powerhouse nutrition of ostrich meat and fresh veggies.
- 500g Klein Karoo Ostrich Steak Medallions
- 1 Clove garlic, crushed
- 1 Red chili, thinly sliced (seeds removed)
- 3 Spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 Small red onion, thinly sliced
- 150g Mange tout peas, shredded
- 100g Mushrooms, sliced
- 100 Green cabbage, finely sliced
- A splash olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 10ml Soy sauce
- Baste steak lightly with olive oil.
- Season with pepper and cook in a hot griddle pan or under a preheated grill for 5 minutes on each side or until done to taste.
- Remove and leave to stand for 10 minutes.
- Cut steak into very thin slices and place in a bowl with remaining meat juices.
- Mix the garlic, chili, red onion and spring onions together.
- Mix all the other vegetables together.
- Keep the two mixes separate.
- Heat a wok until very hot.
- Add a splash of oil.
- When it starts smoking, add the chili and onion mix.
- Stir for just 2 seconds before adding the other mix.
- Flip, toss and keep stirring the vegetables in the wok with a wooden spoon.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the ostrich steak strips.
- After a minute or two, the vegetables should have begun to soften.
- Add the soy sauce and stir in.
- After about 30 seconds the vegetables should smell amazing!
- Tip on to a serving dish
Serve with sweet chili sauce on the side.
Recipe: Chef Francois Ferreira