In today’s health-conscious world ostrich meat has become part of a balanced diet and allows…
Seared Ostrich Fillet served with Compressed Watermelon, Garlic and Black Pepper Croutons
Ostrich combines well with the sweetness of the watermelon. This is a healthy light summer meal, perfect for the warm South African climate.
4 – 5
- 500g Klein Karoo Ostrich Fillet (4/5 100g portions)
- 180ml Olive oil
- 40ml Cumin, ground
- 4 Watermelon rectangles (15cm x 4cm) 1 inch thick
- Salt and pepper
- Caraway seeds
- Rosemary sprigs (for brushing)
- Place the 4 watermelon squares into vacuum bags and season with salt, pepper, caraway seeds and olive oil. Vacuum at 100% and seal. Leave in refrigerator overnight.
- Roll the ostrich in cling film to shape (no seasoning) and leave in refrigerator overnight.
- Mix the olive oil, cumin, and coriander together.
- Heat a grill pan or grill.
- Brush meat with the spiced oil using a rosemary sprig.
- Brown ostrich fillets to medium rare.
- Let the meat rest for 5 minutes.
- Slice and brush again with spiced oil.
- Ciabatta bread, torn into little croutons
- Lemon Zest
- Garlic, crushed
- Black pepper
- Fry the bread in butter until golden and crisp. Remove from the heat and add the zest, garlic, and seasoning. Set aside.
- Assemble the dish by topping the watermelon rectangles with the cooled meat and croutons.
Recipe: Chef Jodi-Ann Pearton